It is situated on the eastern bank of Ganga across Sangam .Jhusi is equated as the Prathishthanpur mentioned in Purana .It was then the capital of Chandervanshi kings. Once belonging to Mauryas,Shingas,Kushan and Gupta period.The only evidence of this historic fact is the high mounds .The articles recovered from these belong to the five cultural phases ranging from chalcolithic to early madievel. The pre NBP Ware deposits mark this as the site of Khumbh Mela in those times.Here a inscription and a donation pot of 1027 c. of King Trilokapal has been recovered in 1830c where there is mention of donation of a village to Brahmins at the time of Sankranti . There are two famous sites "Hansthirth" and "Samunderkoop".Hansthirth is a wellknow example of Tantrik Yogsadhna, which is also called thousand petal lotus.
From pre-NBPWare period to Gupta period and early madievel there is continuity of settlement here and because of its strategic position the site was never abondened although it went through many upheavels and was burnt down as the name suggest.
Kalidas also mentioned about Prathisthan and its imaginary magnificence in his drama ‘ Vikramore-Vasiyan’
Jhusi has now been developed as a satellite town of Allahabad approached by the Shastri bridge from Alopibagh.
Recently an archeological site near the confluence of the Ganges and Yamuna rivers yielded a C14 dating of 7100 BC for its Neolithic levels. Historically, Jhusi was known as Prathisthanpuram. It was burnt down by foreign invaders around the 13-14th century and then came to be known as Jhulsi (Hindi word meaning burnt); the 'l' went missing as years passed on, giving rise to the current name.
Prayag's past buried at Jhusi
Once belonging to the rulers of Mauryan, Shunga, Kushana and Gupta period, the ancient Pratisthana has lost its identity to the modernity of Jhusi. The only evidence related to this historical fact is still visible in the shape of high mounds in Jhusi. Surprisingly, these high mounds have further added to the significance of the city as the articles excavated from here belong to the sixth century BC and antiquities belonging to five cultural phases ranging from chalcolithic to early medieval period have been found here. As per the historians and the pre NBP ware deposit the site of Kumbh Mela is marked at this place as the earliest culture represented at the site. Early layer of this deposit has yielded iron objects. Some pottery items and antiquities are similar to those found at different chalcolithic sites in UP, Bihar and Northern Vindhyas. From the pre-NBP Ware period to the Gupta period there had been continuous settlement at the site. However, there appears to be a cultural gap between the end of Gupta period and the beginning of early medieval period. "There is every likelihood that the site may show up no gap at all when excavated extensively. This possibility is based on the strategic location of the site itself which, by virtue of the same reason, would have never been abandoned after having been once occupied. The excavations in the area only hint at the above fact. The ruins of ancient Pratishthana which are represented by the high mounds of Jhunsi on the eastern bank of Ganges are spread over an area of about four square miles. Pratishthana was the most important locality of Prayag and it was founded by king Ila and was the capital of Pururavas and other kings of Lunar dynasty Kalidasa too mentions about Pratishthana in his drama Vikramor-vasiyam. He has given an imaginary account of this palace of Pururavas which was magnificent. Various myths are also associated with this site. An inscription of Trilochanapala, the Pratihara king, was discovered from the site in 1830. In his book, VN Pandey mentions that the naming of Jhunsi too has a legend associated with it. It was once ruled by Har-bonga, an imbecile and foolish king in whose reign chaos prevailed everywhere. When the cup of his inequity was full there was an upheaval on the earth and the capital Pratishthana was turned upside down, hence now known as 'Ulta Quila'.
There was a conflagration which completed the destruction of the city and the ruins went by the name of Jhulsi, a burnt town, from the Hindi root jhulasna. It is also said that the town was destroyed in an earthquake in 1359 CE as a result of the invocations of saint Maqdoom Shah Taqiuddin, whose tomb lies on one side of the fortress. The traditions relating to the scattering of Brahmana and Kshatriya clans abandoning their homes in Jhusi and emigrating to distant places during the medieval period lend colour to this theory. There is also the historical and sacred Samudrakoop here, which has its own story. "It is known as Samudrakoop since it belongs to the period of Samudragupta. In fact five such wells are found in Ujjain, Mathura, Prayag(Allahabad), Varanasi and Patalpur. It was dumped with garbage once but the efforts of a sage Dayaram brought its historical importance to limelight." Research on lost heritage of Allahabad under Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage (INTACH) suggests that the site is slowly losing its identity on account of continuous erosion of Ganges river. "The high mound, which belong to Kushana period, has few bricks exposed right now".
Bhita a place of archeological importance on the bank of river Yamuna and sprawls over 400 bighas,near the village with same name. I n the southwest portion of the village,remains of a rectangular fort were found. Excavations on this site in1910-12 confirm the possibility of a military base and business centre here.
Bhita has been identified by elders in "VEER CHARIT" as Vitbhya Pattan which developed in 500 bc in the times of THITHANKER Mahaveer .In this jain Granth,Vitbhya Pttan has been shown as the capital of Raja Udayan who was contemprary of Mahaveer and Buddha.
In 1872 General Cunningham described in detail [archeological survey :3:46-52] the diggings and articles recovered at one mound. In the materials gathered special refrence is given to a Buddha Statue[506ce]with inscription where it is mentioned that the statue was estated by Bhikshu Mtre during the reign of Kumar Gupt Mahendradytia in 129ce[gupta period].
In 1910 Sir John Marshal did excavation at the 2nd mound where was recovered one coin of earthenware and one stone edict . On these items the name"Bicchgram" is written.
Located in the west of Sujavan Dev, near Bhita Village at a distance of about 27 Km from Allahabad, district Allahabad, U.P., India.
How to reach
By Road- The site is accessible by road from Allahabad via Allahabad-Rewa (NH-27)-Ghurpur-Bhita road.
By Rail- 3.5 Km from Iradatganj Railway Station (22 Km from Allahabad) on East Central railway line.
Bhita is the place of archaeological importance on the bank of River Yamuna and sprawls over an area of 400 bighas, near the village of the same name. In the south west portion of the village, remains of a rectangular fort have been traced. Excavation of this site in the year 1909-10 & 1910-12 confirm the possibility of the place as a military base and business centre. Terracotta articles, earthenware, seals and a good number of idols were discovered during excavations. However, exhaustive excavation has not yet been taken up which may reveal many more historical facts about the site.
Shringverpur is a famous histotic site of Prayag..The modern Singrora is identified as the ancient Shrigverpur by Cunningham.It is situated on a hill in north west about 35 km from Allahabad[j.r.a.s.b.,9d;2,1949,p139]The place is named after rishi Shringi who had a ASHRAM here .Shringi Rishi was the son of Shamik Rishi of Anerus dinesty.It is said that Shringi Rishi used to penance while swinging upside down on a banyan tree .He performed the yagna for Raja Dashrath where Raja Dashrath was blessed with four sons-Ram, Lakshman ,Bharat, and Shatrughan. The Samadhi of Shringi Rishi is still there.
A mound was discovered here and many coins of Hindu-Muslim period.
Located at a distance of about 35 km in north west direction from Allahabad, on the northern bank of River Ganges, on Allahabad-Lucknow road, in Kaushambi district, U.P., India.
How to reach
By Road- Can be accessed by road, from Allahabad from where frequent bus service is available/pre-hired taxi.
By Rail- Nearest Railhead is Ramchaura Road, about 4.8 km south from the station.
The place was the seat of Rishi Shringi hence, the name Shringverpur. According to Valmiki Ramayan the place was ruled by Nishad (boatman) king ‘Guh’ & is said to be of Ramayana Period. Lord Ram while proceeding to the exile of fourteen years, stayed here to rest on the request of the Nishad King.
During medieval period, the place was headquarter of a Pargana (district). General Cunningham found many coins here. Many mounds are located in the adjoining areas which are yet to be excavated. The excavation of these will definitely reveal many unknown facts about this area.
Shringe Rishi Samadhi & Shanta Devi Temple:- Shringi Rishi Samadhi is located on the highest mound of the area. Lord Ram visited the Ashram of the Rishi, with Laxman & Sita while proceeding to the exile of fourteen years. Anand Mai Temple or Shanta Devi Temple (wife of Rishi Shringi) is also located nearby.
Ram Chaura:- Near the Shringi Rishi Samadhi (Temple) is the place called Ram Chaura. It is here, where Ram stayed overnight & accepted the invitation of Nishad king and asked the people of Ayodhya to go back. Ram, Laxman & Sita denounced their royal robes and crossed the River Ganges by boat. The place from where he started his journey to exile, a platform is constructed, called Ram Chaura and is about 750 mts away from Shringi Rishi Ashram. There are many temples in Ram Chaura. Ram, Sita & Hanuman temple, a twelve faced huge idol of Hanuman is worth mentioning.
It is one of the districts of Allahabad now.
It is as ancient as Mahabharat .According to scholars it was revived three times.
In the first stage it was estated about 590 bc during the rule of Vastraj Udyan.It had been a center for many religious faiths like Brahmin , jain and buddh .
In the 5th century Chinese visitor saw many boddh followers here.
During excavation the important finding were GHOSHITARAM, KUKKUTRAM, and PAVRIYA,the three buddh vihars .In the 7th century another Chinese visitor saw ruins of more than 10 SANGHARAMs here.
Samrat Ashok got a Ashoka Pillar and a more than 200ft high Stupa constructed near GHOSHTARAM.The stupa has been in ruins and has been revived and is now 91ft.high, is square in shape and has a verandah with statues of god and goddesses. The pillar of Ashoka placed here has been shifted to Allahabad museum.
During ancient times it was the capital of Vatsa king Mahajanpada.The Ramayana and Mahabharta attribute that a Chedi prince Kusa founded his capital here. Puranas also state that when Hastinapur was washed away by Ganga,The Bharata’s king Nicaksu shifted here. The last successor of king Nicaksu is king Ksemaka.King Udayana is described as the scion of the Bharat Kula.Later Vatsa was annexed by Avanti. Maniprabha, the great grand son of Pradyota, ruled at Kausambi as a prince of Avanti .
Gautam buddha visited Kaushambi many times to spread his Dharma during the reign of king Udayan.Udayan himself was a Bodhh Upasak and it is said in Puranas that budhha’s first image was carved out of sandalwood on Udayan’s instructions.
In ancient India it was the capital of the Vatsa Mahajanapada, one of 16 such regions. The Puranas state that Vatsa was named after a Kaśī king. The Ramayana and the Mahabharata attribute the credit of founding its capital Kauśāmbī to a Chedi prince Kuśa or Kuśāmba. The Puranas state that after the washing away of Hastinapura by the Ganges, the Bhāratas king Nicakṣu, great-great grandson of Janamejaya, abandoned the city and settled in Kauśāmbī. This is supported by the Svapnavāsavadattā and the Pratijñā-Yaugandharāyaṇa attributed to Bhāsa. Both of them have described the king Udayana as a scion of the Bhāratas family (Bhārata-kula). The Puranas provide a list of Nicakṣu’s successors which ends with king Kṣemaka. Gautama Buddha visited Kaushambi several times during the reign of Udayana on his effort to spread the dharma, the Noble Eightfold Path and the Four Noble Truths. Udayana was a Buddhist upāsaka. The Chinese translation of the Buddhist canonical text Ekottara Āgama states that the first image of Buddha, carved out of sandalwood was made under the instruction of Udayana.According to the Puranas, the 4 successors of Udayana were Vahināra, DanḍapāṇI, Niramitra and Kṣemaka. Later, Vatsa was annexed by Avanti. Maniprabha, the great-grandson of Pradyota, ruled at Kauśāmbī as a prince of Avanti. Ashoka gave importance to Kaushambi and placed a pillar of Ashoka in Kaushambi, which has inscriptions there in Pali. A Jaina derasar was also constructed in Kaushambi. Both the pillar and the temple still exist there and the ruins of Vatsa and its university are still being excavated by archaeologists. Kaushambi is also the birthplace of sixth Jain Tirthankar Padam Prabhu Ji.
About 69 km from Allahabad, in Kaushambi district of U.P., India.
How to reach
By Road-Can be accessed by road via Allahabad-Kanpur-Daranagar road.
By Rail-Nearest railway station is Sirathu (NER), from where Kara is 5 km on Daranagar route.
Kara, situated on the right bank of River Ganges, was one of the nine holiest shrines in ancient India. It is generally believed that after the immolation of Sati (wife of Lord Shiva), her hand/bracelet (Kara) fell down at this place, hence the name Kara. It was the provincial capital of Mughals, till 1575 When Akbar established Allahabad as the main base in this region; this place lost its political importance. Ibn-e-batuta visited this place in 1340 and described it as an important Hindu religious centre.
Khwaja Karakshah Mausoleum- (Timings: 5:30am-8:30pm) Located about 3 km beforeKara, the oldest building of the area, is the mausoleum of Muslim saint Karbullah Shah, popularly known as Karak Shah. Inscriptions on the building walls in Arabic suggest that he died in 1309 here and another inscription written in Persian suggests that the building was renovated in 1488. An Urs, held in winters every year, is attended by thousands of people of all religion and sects. Thursday is considered special day to visit.Another mausoleum in the campus is of Sayyad Kutubuddin who came here along with the forces of Mohammad Gauri. This mausoleum is preferably visited by women, who believe that they will be blessed with motherhood with the blessings of the Saint. The compound also houses some other mausoleums. Maluk Das Ki Samadhi - He was born in Kara. Almost in the centre of Kara, is situated the Samadhi of saint Maluk Das, who died in 1682. It is believed that he possessed divine powers.
Sheetala Mata Temple (Sheetala Dham):- The place derived its name because of this holy temple. The temple of Kara Devi (Sheetala Devi) is situated on the bank of River Ganges. Temple Opens from 5am-12noon & 12:30-9pm. Monday and Friday are considered special days. Amavasya (New moon day), Purnima (Full moon day), Kartik purnima, both Navratries, Sheeta Ashtami of Asarh month & Shravan month are considered auspicious when people visit the temple in large number.
Hanuman Temple:-(Timings: 5am-12noon, 12:30pm-9pm) also exists inside Sheetala Dham, while Kshetrapal Bhairav temple is near Sheeta Devi Temple.
Kaleshwar Mahadev Temple:-(Timings: 5am-8pm) popularly known as Nagbaba ka Akhada (8 km from Kara), Shivala Maharshi Ashram (6 Km from Kara), mounds of Jaichandra Fort & Jama Mosque are some of the places / buildings located in and around Kara.
This place of historic importance is situated about 19 km. from Shankergardh railway station.Its ancient name is Bhattgarh ,a small village which was initially a Bodh Vihar but was later on taken over by the Brahmins .Its modern name is BARGARH in the form of a smll village.. It became a place of many invaluable statues and temples.A fort was created to safeguard the treasures, called Gadhwa.The fort has 4 ramparts.In the fort many tablets are discovered with mention of Gupta kings offering gold coins to Brahmins and also offering gold coins in the temple of Lord Vishnu .In the fort there is a beautiful temple dedicated to the ten Avatars of Vishnu.
Garhwa is an interesting excursion destination around Allahabad. In fact, Garhwa is a must visit tourist spot during your tour to Allahabad. The place is famous for the ruins of some of the most beautiful temples in Purvanchal. The place has not been at the helm of the matter but slowly and steadily, it is picking up in the hot list. In fact, Garhwa is a must visit for both researchers as well as casual visitors. Historians and researchers who are working on ancient North Indian temple architectures or Gupta era temples for that matter must visit this place. Garhwa will give a different insight about this architecture tradition altogether.
On Allahabad Varanasi Highway (NH-2), about 51km from Allahabad, 81 km from Varanasi, 6 km away in south from Allahabad on Allahabad-Varanasi Highway & near Bhiti Railway Station in Sant Ravidas Nagar (Bhadoi) District, U.P.
Ideal time to visit
During Lav-Kush Birthday in July & Hanuman Jayanti.
Religious, Main points- Sita Samadhi Asthal, Hanuman Idol, Valmiki Ashram , Odia Baba Asthal.
Sitamarhi is situated on the bank of River Ganges. It is believed to be the place where, Sita lived during her exile from Ayodhya. Her two sons Lav & Kush were born here. It is the place where she was engulfed into the earth.
Sita Samadhi Asthal- (timings-6am to 6pm, open all days) This temple is dedicated to Sita, here a majestic Idol of Sita in white clothes is installed.